I looked for research online for other games and things I wanted my game to be similar to. It was very helpful as I knew what I was looking for and how to make the story better by reading about other games plots. Aegis Defenders and Professor Layton influenced my game’s design a lot as I liked the idea of a pixel art world with characters that I can flesh out and have many types of characters to make it interesting.
I did finish the majority of my project in time but did have to add some parts of art and experimentation with my characters. My time plan was fairly effective but I underestimated how long doing digital art would take.
Originally, I had very different designs for my characters and after experimenting and trying different outfits and hairstyles I came across their final look and think it suits them a lot more than their original looks. I considered many different ideas such as 10 outfits and 6 hairstyles each for every character. I also had several names for each character with various meanings relating to their personalities. I had an original colour palette for each character and played around with different styles and outfits with that colour palette, mixing different outfits until I came across one I liked.
I think my overall look of the characters and how their personalities came out, but I would improve the style of the characters and how to shade them properly. I would also like to have done more detailed backgrounds but lacked the knowledge and time to do so.
If I did this project again I would love to make my line art a lot cleaner and do more realistic shading on my project. I would also do pixel art backgrounds and pixel art sprites for the games. I have learnt that digital art takes a lot of work and practice to get to a point where I like it.